Wednesday, March 21, 2012

We Need To Talk


The Week’s Prompt:
{A’s} profession is a hazardous one—aviator, automobile racing driver, steeple jack, “human fly”—and {B} considers this fact an obstacle to their marriage.

“Dear?”
“Hmmm?”
“We need to talk.”
“Hmmm...”
“Will you put that paper down and look at me?”
“Yes, dear.”
“It’s about your latest project.”
“What about it?”
“It upsets me.”
“Upsets you? What about it upsets you?”
“Well, the fact that you climb buildings.”
“Sweetheart, I’m ‘The Human Fly’; it’s what I do. Besides, being a human fly is a great honor. My father and grandfather were both human flies. I am proud to be able to continue that family tradition.”
“No, I understand that. It’s just ... do you have to do it without any safety harnesses?”
“If I wore safety harnesses, then I would be just a regular steeplejack.”
“Yes, about the steeplejack thing ...”
 “What about it?”
“Why do you do it?”
“You know why I did it. It was my training to become ‘The Human Fly’.”
“But now that you are ‘The Human Fly’, can’t you give up being a steeplejack?”
“And do what exactly for a living?”
“You had a job before all of this, when I first met you.”
“What, go back to being a mechanic at that dirty garage? I’m no longer that same man, woman. And besides, how do you think it’d look in the papers - “Human Fly a greasy mechanic!” No, it just won’t do.”
“Ok, maybe not a mechanic, but you learnt so much about cars there. Couldn’t you put all that knowledge to good use? Maybe become a driver or something?”
“A driver?”
“Yes, like a cabbie, or you could work for one of the rich businessmen.”
“A driver. You know, you might be onto something there.”
“I might?”
“Yes. Oh, you are beautiful, and your mind is beautiful. I’m heading to the track right this instant.”
“The track?”
“The race track. I’m going to become a racing driver.”
“What? No, I was talking about ...”
“Imagine the headline, “Human Fly a daring automobile racing driver!” Terrific!”
“You know, while you’re at it, why don’t you fly a plane as well?”
“Brilliant! You just don’t stop, do you? I’m so glad I married you. And my mother thought I was making a mistake. “Human Fly a daring automobile driver and a daring stunt aviator!” The press will go crazy for me.”
“I'm pregnant.”
“He'd fly through the air with the greatest of ease/ That daring young man on the flying trapeze/ He’d fly through the air ...”

No comments: