Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I love February

I think February is the best month in the year, and I'm quite sad that it has passed. Of course, I was born in Feb, so I think it makes it even more special. But I especially love all the quirks the month comes with.

It's the shortest month in the year, the only one with less than 30 days. It's also the only month that is flexible in the number of days it has - 28 or 29. It's neither the first month nor the last, and it's not slotted right in the middle either.

I quit my job this Feb. It's another one in a growing list. It was a decent job, paid decently too. I quit it because I wanted to follow my heart. I quit it because if you are not passionate about something, you are just existing for the heck of it and you will never succeed; you'll just move forward slightly. I still like advertising and I think I might return to the industry, but I don't want to return on the management side; I want to return on the creative side. And that is exactly what I'm going out to explore - my creative side.

I'm going to explore my writing and my music, both of which are at a very nascent stage. I'm unqualified in both areas, but I have grand dreams for them and I know I can do something with them. I know I want to do something with them.

I'm also going to explore my social side - one that has been twisting and turning inside me, hollering for the attention it has never received. I have always been an armchair activist, but it doesn't feel enough. I want to go out and actually make a difference. I want to be in that last mile delivery where I get to see the results first-hand and, hopefully, immediately. I am in the process of trying to become a Teach For India Fellow. I've never been a teacher before but I know I'm good with children.

I crave immediate gratification and that is something I never got at any of my jobs. That is something I get with my writing and my music. That is something I think I will get with teaching and with social work. I am following my heart. There is a good chance I am shooting myself in the foot. If that is the case, I hope I am able to hobble back to this corporate world I am leaving behind without too much damage; but I hope that is not the case.

Wish me luck, for I am about to embark on a journey whose route and destination I do not know. I see a haze in front of me, but I am moving in a particular direction.

3 comments:

n.aka.zephyr said...

Best of luck for everything! And Feb is my fav month too... I was also born in Feb :)

Vidyashankar said...

good luck.
u will excel in writing and music.
i know. i have read ur work and seen u play music and u are damn good. i know it. time to make the world know it.
kick some ass....
good luck again. :)

Kiran said...

Hey, I enjoy reading your posts. You and your readers might like this
video that a friend sent me. It's a Bollywood version of an iTunes
spot. Keep up the good work blogging!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhBwA7BLho


- Kiran