Saturday, March 15, 2008

8

Consecutive posts with a number as the title. I've been tagged again, this time by a twenty somebody. This one has to do with eights, which is incidentally a lucky number in Chinese culture. Glad to see my popularity in the blogosphere on the rise.

Eight things I am passionate about:
Me
Books
Music
Movies
Writing
Armchair Activism/ Philosophy
BoBo (Bourgeois Bohemian)
Utopian Rebellion

Eight things I want to do before I die:

Drive around the country
Become a famous published author
Drive a truck for a living for a while
Open a cafe
Play a whole range of percussion instruments
Spend a few years travelling and living in other countries
Make feature films the way I want to
Run for political/ public office

Eight things I say often:
Dude
The fuck
Behen ke laude
Bhains ki aankh
Horrendous
Brilliant
Types
Other random sounds

Eight books I've read recently:
Mexica - Norman Spinrad (good)
Gifted - Nikita Lalwani (an exercise in futility, gave it up)
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie (good)
Five Point Someone - Chetan Bhagat (horrendous)
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (started out well, twisted and turned too much)
Above Average - Amitabh Bagchi (Indians can't write English fiction)
After Dark - Haruki Murakami (surreal, interesting)
English, August - Upamanyu Chatterjee (this Indian can write good English fiction)

Books in the pipeline:

The Indian Clerk - David Leavitt
'Tis - Frank McCourt
The Mammaries of the Welfare State - Upamanyu Chatterjee
Some of Gandhi's writings, maybe My Experiments with Truth
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Some of JRR Tolkien's writings

Eight songs I could listen to over and over:
Hmmm...this is very difficult; there are just too many songs. So instead, I'll put down bands I could listen to over and over.
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
The Unlike No Ones
Thermal and a Quarter
Zero
Lounge Piranha

Eight things that attracts me to my close friends:

I share a different relationship with each of my friends. It is impossible for me to say that I became close friends with these people because of a particular reason. It could be anything, but mostly it is the time and the experiences shared. These could range from cigarettes to back-to-back movies to anything under the sun. This does not mean that the same thing with another person would lead to a similar result.

People I think should do this tag:
Verbose Lulla
Sunanda Manni (it's payback time)
The Smugbug
Suraksha

4 comments:

suraksha said...

1. You're passionate about You. I like that. Very much! :D
2. Open a cafe! Open a cafe! I will be loyal patron! :P
3. I liked After Dark and English, August. August, especially, kills me.
4. And I shall do tag once blog attains public status again. :)

Rags said...

@ suraksha:
1. Hey, what can I say? I love me!
2. I was looking at doing the cafe this year in Bangalore, but loks like I will have to push it by atleast a couple of years.
3. I love English, August. Brilliantly written. He actually portrays the boredom of the protagonist through his writing. I love slow meandering writing that doesn't get boring.
4. Go public soon. I miss your blog.

n.aka.zephyr said...

Seriously... you want to drive a truck for a living?? :D

I've been having thought about opening a book cafe cum pottery studio too... but its more of a dream and very impractical for someone who has no business sense...

Rags said...

@ n.aka.zephyr:

I love the open highways and driving, and I am just enamoured by trucks. Fascinating!

I think everybody should open a cafe. Go ahead and plan. Sit down with your business friends to figure out the business aspects. But open it. And the pottery studio addition is very interesting.