Tuesday, March 11, 2008

100

This is my 100th post. As a way of celebrating this important milestone, I have decided to pay tribute to everything around me in the form of a rant. Everything has contributed in some way or the other, big or small, to making this blog what it is, and everything deserves a rant. After all, if I was not affected in some way, I probably wouldn't have blogged about it. And the ranting has begun.

I hate the way how every post has to be well structured and thought out, almost like I'm writing an article that has to find its way past the sniveling editors and be published. I despair at the fact that I am unable to write a spontaneous blog post, or at the very least make it sound and seem spontaneous, and despair even more when I read blogs that read more spontaneously than mine, or are drier and more wry, or are more humorous, or have more comments or profile views, or are more depression and paranoia ridden.

I hate software. All dictionaries assume I want to write in American English, when in reality American English is not even a language. We were colonised by the British, everything in us has been influenced by the British, and we will remain stoically British, atleast in matters of language, education and governance. Also, since I bought my cell phone in India and considering that almost everything is being made to order for India, shouldn't my phone dictionary contain Indian words and names, rather than phoren ones that wouldn't even pass muster with Mallu Christians? BTW, I love Mallus and Mallu Christians.

I hate having to be politically correct all the time. I hate having to watch what I say and try to say the right things so that I can get my way, or at least not hurt the other person's feelings, or ruin our relationship. Heck, I'm thinking it, I'm feeling it, why the bloody hell can't I say it? I love you. I hate you. I think you're an insecure pretentious prick. I think you're the greatest thing God ever created to grace this Earth and I'm so glad that you're a part of my life. Marry me.

I hate not being able to do what I want to. The freedom I enjoyed in college has been curtailed tremendously and I am not enjoying it. I can't just drop something and pick up something else, like I used to be able to. I hate not having enough time to do my personal stuff, rather having to spend a large portion of my day at work pursuing nobody's dream. Why can't all 24 hours be for me and about me?

I hate people.

Here's to the first 100. May the numbers keep rolling.

5 comments:

n.aka.zephyr said...

hey rags,
Congrats for the milestone!!! Hope to see many more psots from you :)

Carpe Diem said...

Rant, rant. I love it. Its you.

About the posts being structured - they are grammatically correct. They are not in the least bit 'careful sounding'. Your style is free flowing. Don't get bogged down by the number of comments you see on other blogs. Those are merely a reflection of 'appealing to mass' as against class. Value your readers, they are not random.

And, who said your freedom to say anything was being curtailed or that every word you utter is measured?? U've said you hate people twice over in your blog!

Rags said...

@ n.aka.zephyr:
Thank you. Hope to see many more comments from you :D

@ carpe diem:
I love the way you so effectively counter argue. You really help me see both sides of the coin a lot of times.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 100th!

Your blog posts are a pleasure to read because while they are well structured & grammatically correct,they always 'read' beautifully. As a reader, I have never felt that they were overblown or too careful sounding.

But what I like most about them is that they reflect you - with all your (misplaced?)angst & complexity. Would be fun to see the goofy side of you on here more often though. :)

Rags said...

@ anonymous:

Thanks for the wishes and the bolster in confidence. Glad to see that there are still people out there who appreciate good correct writing.

For me, writing is a very deeply involving activity where I tap into my basest emotions. My goofy side is more on the surface and that is why you see so many posts on the darker side. But your point has been noted. I will attempt to inject goofiness in my posts henceforth. By the way, didn't you love Goofy from Disney?