Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Friendly Tug

A funny thing happened today. I was going through the list of my friends in my gtalk and I chanced upon the pictures of two of my closest friends in Bangalore. Now I've seen these pictures before and I speak to these guys now and then, but this time I really scrutinised the pictures. And behind my eyes exploded this surge of emotion and memories. The three of us have been together since our school days and we have more than a decade of friendship to speak of. In the last few years, we have really gotten close, despite the distances that have often plagued us.

I now have a different reason to go back home. Both of them are in Bangalore. One of them came back from the States just as I was preparing to leave Bangalore for MICA and Ahmedabad. Since then, both of them have stayed on in Bangalore while I have been away, first in MICA, now in Delhi. The other one has really been the binding force. He stuck on in Bangalore and is living life to the hilt. If it weren't for him, I doubt that the three of us would have been the cohesive force we are today.

I am now imagining life in Bangalore. I see gym sessions, drinking sessions, discussing work over lunch, having philosophical discussions, talking about women (like the good old days). Why would I not want to move back home to Bangalore?

I keep having these flashes of Bangalore, visual images that make my stomach go into knots. Roads, the muggy weather, the cool breeze, the trees, some building, the crowd on Brigade Road, anything. Sigh!

On an aside, I've been off cigarettes for nearly a week now. I tried taking a couple of drags yesterday, but it tasted horrible. I still keep getting these occassional cravings though, that I've been fighting off. I've been fairly ill since I quit cold turkey on Friday, and I'm guessing it's a withdrawal effect. Still, I'm sticking to my guns.

Healthier life, here I come.

Bangalore and home, here I come.

P.S.: I've been featured in some guy's list of Indian blogs. You can see it here. I guess this is just the start to fame and fortune.

3 comments:

Su said...

This is great . so proud of you. RD has quit too. so please share some motivation with us :)

Anonymous said...

Hey dear!

I miss Bangalore too, even though it's not my home, obviously, at least for now. I am not sure your e mail adress works, and I'm too lazy to check, but I wanted to have some fresh news: how are you my friend? Heard you are in Dehli now. I still have the same mail adress, send me a letter when you can.

Bisou + topette !

Anonymous said...

On an aside, be careful, if you stop smoking you'll get too close to perfection ;-)
biz