Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Freedom Of Music

This happens to me unfailingly every time I listen to music from the free era, the 1960s, the 1970s and a bit from the 1980s. I get transported, I start visualising that time, and all my visualisations are based completely on images received from films and television either from or set in that time period. Classic examples would include Almost Famous and That 70s Show. What an era that must have been! Their music just speaks so beautifully. It’s pure, it’s electrifying, it’s an era where anything was possible and where hope floated in the air.


I’m constantly trying to recreate that magic today. My first girl-friend always used to say that I was born in the wrong time period. I ought to have been born about thirty years previously. And I always used to feel weird whenever she said that because then I used to think that she and I wouldn’t have been together if we had been born thirty years apart. I always wanted that particular moment with her than the chance to have been born thirty years earlier to enjoy an era that I might or might not have enjoyed. Anyway, I have digressed, from this topic as well as from her, both of which I should not have.


And now when I return to the original track, I realise that the train of thought has moved on and left me behind. I’m listening to Jefferson Airplane, which is following Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. So I’m going to let their music fill my ears and let my thoughts wander.

No comments: