Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Painting Of A Canvas

The weather took a turn last evening. From a humid and hot day, it shifted dramatically into a very pleasant evening, still humid and sticky though, with storm clouds brewing on the horizon. It remained like that till late at night. Finally, just before midnight, the storm broke. I rejoiced and slept. I awoke this morning to the pitter-patter of raindrops. It had rained all night and showed no signs of stopping any time soon. Thankfully, it held off just long enough to provide a window of respite for us to wriggle through to office. The rain restarted and has gone on through the day in splendid fits, beautiful starts and poetic bursts. The weather is absolutely glorious, the roads glisten anew, the tree-tops are resplendent in their renewed vigour and the entire city is awash with the feeling of beauty. This is the sort of day when you want to curl up against the window glass that has water running down its outside with any or more of the following to stimulate the senses: a book that makes for a great read, a mug of hot chocolate, a beautiful work of art, some lovely soft music, intelligent company that makes for intelligent conversation and a laptop for writing and giving vent to those creative juices that nature has jump-started in you. On that note, I shall leave you with 3 Vincent Van Gogh paintings that made me sigh this morning. The first is The Starry Night (1888), the second is Starry Night Over The Rhone (1888) and the third is Cafe Terrace At Night (1888). Alongside these breath-taking beauties that I would love to gaze upon as they adorn my wall are the soul-stirring lyrics to the evocative song Vincent by Don McLean.

Vincent (by Don McLean)
Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and grey,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
In colors on the snowy linen land.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

Starry, starry night.
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze,
Swirling clouds in violet haze,
Reflect in Vincent's eyes of china blue.
Colors changing hue, morning field of amber grain,
Weathered faces lined in pain,
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

For they could not love you,
But still your love was true.
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night,
You took your life, as lovers often do.
But I could have told you, Vincent,
This world was never meant for one
As beautiful as you.

Starry, starry night.
Portraits hung in empty halls,
Frameless head on nameless walls,
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget.
Like the strangers that you've met,
The ragged men in the ragged clothes,
The silver thorn of bloody rose,
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow.

Now I think I know what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they're not listening still.
Perhaps they never will...

2 comments:

Su said...

Dude. this is zany. I love this topic and the song. The words of this song are amazing and when I feel really depressed or misunderstood, I always think of the words of this song ........

' how you suffered for your sanity'. The last line is the best. I once freaked my mom out by telling her that if we had the concept of having Western-style funerals, I would want this song played in mind.

Weird that we wrote about the same things across two different time zones and frames :)

http://sulicious.blogspot.com/2005/09/rest-in-peace-vincent-perhaps-we-never.html

n aka zephyr said...

I lovew vincent van gogh... wrote a post on him along with the song last march!