Friday, August 31, 2007

Of New Months And Resolutions

When I was growing up, every day was a new day. It's like you woke up and the world was new once again. And every new month brought with it greater excitement than the day had. The year generally came around pretty rarely, usually about once a year, and so it had a charm that was soon lost. But the charm with new months was that I got to write a new number in the date column every month. It wouldn't throw away that charm by changing every day, but it would make you wait in anticipation, so that when it finally changed (usually about once a month), you would savour it. And by the time you're done savouring it and have gotten used to the excitement of writing a new number for the month, it was time to look forward to the next month and let the anticipation grow. But all that was when I was growing up, during my school days primarily.

Now that I am working, the new month brings with it dread and defeat. I am the furthest away that I will ever be from my next pay-cheque. I am now closer to my deadlines, not only in date, but in month also. I have to reach my target in a shorter time period. The entire month stretches out in front of me, the end being sometimes 30, sometimes 31, only once 28 days away. So on such occassions, I try to break it down into smaller goals. Get past this week. In this week, what are the smaller goals that I can break it down into?

I quit smoking today. Cold turkey. The timing couldn't have been better. It's at the end of one month and at the start of another. Now, I can look forward to milestones. One day, one week, two weeks, one month, you get the idea. I will keep you updated on my progress.

1 comment:

Rama Mohan said...

Your blog link has been placed in my Indian bloggers list http://lifestyle-india.blogspot.com/.
Check it in generel category

http://lifestyle-india.blogspot.com/2007/09/list-of-indian-bloggers-with-different.html

Thank you
Mohan