Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sitting Alone

Remember this one episode of Frasier where he goes to meet this woman (hot, but of course) for dinner and she needs to run somewhere and so can't have dinner with him? Well, dear Dr. Crane ("I'm listening") decides to eat alone since he is already here and the restaurant is good. Soon after, a little boy runs up to Frasier and tells him that his parents wanted to know if Frasier would like to join them since he was all alone.

Have you ever tried sitting alone at a cafe or a restaurant? Try escaping the pitiful looks or the suspicious furtive glances or the wide-eyed stares. A pub is an exception though. It's almost as if you are supposed to go drink at a pub alone, drowning in your thoughts and your sorrows in a haze of alcohol. The same however cannot be applicable to a respectable family joint like a cafe or a restaurant. And if you ever sit alone in a hostel mess where everybody, forget knows you, even knows at what time you went to the bathroom that morning, then you can be sure to wave any chance of a peaceful quiet meal goodbye. For cryin' out loud, maybe I want to sit alone. Maybe I just want to sit with myself and my thoughts. And maybe I'm not really alone, I might be schizophrenic. The only thing that might save you is a book or a laptop. So always ensure to carry one around, just to appear busy at the very least.

7 comments:

madhatter_withgloves said...

Try taking a walk alone....its not even funny how many people will ask you if you're alright. And you can't even carry a laptop for one.I try to tell myself, they ask coz they care. Yah right!

gadgetty gat gat said...

Happens all the time. But if you stick with it, people get the message and leave you along :)
sachin wrote a post on the same thing here>> http://www.alzheimersanonymous.blogspot.com

SlckrQn said...

Eating alone should be easy if you are scary enough to begin with. That's what you'd think, right?

I've discovered even that isn't deterrent enough most of the time. *sigh*

Su said...

Rags. For the longest time, I was alone in Syracuse and I ate most of my meals alone in restaurants. I used to look forward to it, sometimes I had a newspaper and sometimes just my own thoughts. I could comfortably eat by myself but not sure if I would go for a movie alone.

Perceptions :)

tangled said...

It's scarier for girls, really. You never know when some creep will come up to you and try striking up a conversation...
I always carry my journal and a pen. And if I forget those, I stare dreamily into space with my chin in my hand. Seems to be working :)

Anonymous said...

The place where I stay (and you do too) the concept of allowing the other some personal space is sort of nonexistent, don't you think? :P

Books and laptops are quite useless there methinks :P

Anonymous said...

Oh and that was I.

Chinar 21. :P