Sunday, September 17, 2006

Film - Film - Film - Film

A film is a film is a film, is a film. Right? So if you've seen a film once, chances are you would prefer not to repeat it, unless it was a film that blew you away. Right?

Wrong! You ought to watch whatever film you can lay your hands on, even if you've seen them before. The full force of this realisation hit me yesterday when I saw four, that's right, count 'em, four different films, strategically enough, after every meal (tea is a meal, you know). October 1917 by Sergei Eisenstein, Casablanca by Michael Curtiz, Happy Together by Wong Kar-Wai, and Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl by Some Random Arbid Director, in exactly that order. Now, the fourth film is the one that showed me the light (it's always the last one, isn't it?). If I had seen Pirates... a year and a half ago, I would have lapped it up. Not so yesterday. I still liked the film, extremely watchable, but I've been seeing international cinema for over a year now, and those expanded horizons showed the film to be exactly what it was - extremely commercial with a lot of audience-pleasing scenes, rampant use of special effects and oft-repeated dialogues for good measure ("The code is more like a bunch of guidelines, not rules" or something to that effect). That was to an extent true even with Casablanca ("Here's looking at you, kid!"). That would explain why six, yes six, of the top one hundred most memorable movie lines come from Casablanca.

Right, so I guess what I'm trying to say is, screw everything, watch films. I find international cinema or world cinema works best, but others might also do the trick. Basically I'm getting bored of writing this blog post, so I'm ending it rather abruptly.

No comments: